R H visited me yesterday and we discussed what she had been reading this summer. She is currently reading the Secret Journal of Dr Hudson and has also read Secret Life of Bees and Twilight, which relate more to the blog I am keeping. She asks" What is the appeal of the two YA books- to girls in general?"" What does Twilight say about how girls should behave as compared to the girl in The Secret Life of Bees?" We speculate " in the first there is an obsessive relationship of boy and girl, in the other a relationship which explores loss and a girl creating relationship amongst a group of woman. The genre and ideas in these books are so different . Can we even compare ?Do we recommend Tw. or TSLB? Both have been widely read and produced as successful movies- "
My readers' instinct tells me that Twilight 's popularity is based on its romance, fantasy and overall creepiness,whereas the SLBees will become a classic. I will have to read them. I look forward to Bees but not Twilight - why I wonder?
2 comments:
hi have you any thoughts about twilight. someone said today that the series is very harlequinish.
Have rented twilight movie will watch and let you know what i think about this book as a choice for high school English class
Post a Comment