Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Cathy's Book

Running press book publishers has released a very interesting book ; Cathy's Book
by Stewart and Weisman
I resisted reading this book as it looked like it might be trying too hard to be interesting and hip to young readers. I finally opened it up and found a pretty good story interspersed with the main character Cathy's drawings and journal entries. The drawings and handwritten notes provided a side story for the main story.
Cathy meets a mysterious man Victor - he takes her airplane flying , they have a date - she dumps creme brule on his head , he consoles her when she tells him about her dad dying. The plot thickens as Cathy tries to find out more about Victor by breaking into his bio tech company office, and by visiting China town to seek out his uncle.

I found the whole thing fun, but at times I went back to look at previous entries and drawings to make sense of what was going on. The reader will have to pay attention and become engaged - I think most will.

No comments: