a blog about books written for teenagers and young adults. Reading is the best thing in the world. This summer I am reading a number of books that I hope to use in a course . How did I choose the books? I look for books everywhere- bookstores, online, secondhand, borrowed or I ask people what they like.
The Kite Runner is a great choice for a high school class because it opens the door for discussions about Canada's current deployment in Afghanistan. This book is important because it teaches students that before the Soviet Invasion there was relative peace in this country. The invasion described in the novel is what led to the reign of the Taliban and the stripping of basic human rights we know of today.
The Kite Runner is at times gut wrenching, but ends on a note of hope and renewal. It has also been adapted as a feature length film which opens the possibility of book to film comparisons.
2 comments:
The Kite Runner is a great choice for a high school class because it opens the door for discussions about Canada's current deployment in Afghanistan. This book is important because it teaches students that before the Soviet Invasion there was relative peace in this country. The invasion described in the novel is what led to the reign of the Taliban and the stripping of basic human rights we know of today.
The Kite Runner is at times gut wrenching, but ends on a note of hope and renewal. It has also been adapted as a feature length film which opens the possibility of book to film comparisons.
hi Mj this book woudl work well in your Afghanistan unit. A good choice for upper level students
Post a Comment