Thursday, September 17, 2009

Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns is a funny but insightful look into the lives of high school students who are on the brink of graduation. Green's portrayal of his characters is realistic and relatable, and I think that students will enjoy the humour as well as the more challenging material.

Heather Sherrard

(Please see comments)

4 comments:

burnt red said...

HI Heather,
Is this an action book or is it more character driven? Do you have a favorite passage that you could share?
will you teach this book in a high school?
H

Heather S said...

Paper Towns seems particularly well suited for being taught in a high school (and I certainly hope to be able to teach it in my own classroom) because it combines action and characters, humour and Walt Whitman. It asks several "big questions" that require readers to think critically, but also has a great, fast-moving plot that will keep students interested.
The narrator Q, begins the search for his next-door-neighbour and long-time-love-interest Margo after she disappears a month before graduation.
And finally, a passage from the novel:
"The road has emptied out now; there is only me and the semitrucks, and I feel like my brain is processing information at eleven thousand times its usual pace, and it occurs to me that what I'm doing is very easy, that driving on the interstate is the easiest and most pleasant thing in the world: all I have to do is stay in between the lines and make sure that no one is too close to me and I am not too close to anyone and keep leaving. Maybe it felt like this for her, too, but I could never feel like this alone."

Heather Sherrard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather Sherrard said...

Paper Towns was voted the favorite teen book of 2009 by over 11,000 voters! See the link for other books that made the top 10:

http://ala.org/teenstopten